Lab Grown Diamonds
Welcome to our comprehensive guide on lab grown diamonds, the epitome of luxury and sustainability in the world of fine jewellery. In this guide, we delve into the numerous benefits of lab grown diamonds, their manufacturing process, grading standards, customisation options, and best practices for their care and maintenance.
Lab created diamonds are known for their beauty, brilliance, and guaranteed origin. Learn more about lab grown diamonds’ impact, benefits, and why this sustainable choice is right for you.
Why Choose Lab Grown Diamonds?
Lab grown diamonds offer several advantages over their mined counterparts, making them the preferred choice for conscious consumers:
Ethical and Environmentally Friendly
Lab created diamonds are created in controlled environments, eliminating the negative impacts of mining on ecosystems and communities.
These diamonds provide the same dazzling appearance at a fraction of the price, making them a more cost-effective option.
Lab grown diamonds exhibit the same physical, chemical, and optical properties as mined diamonds, ensuring a high-quality, beautiful product.
The Science Behind Lab Grown Diamonds
Lab created diamonds are created using two main methods:
High Pressure High Temperature (HPHT)
This process mimics the natural formation of diamonds by subjecting carbon to high pressure and high temperature conditions. The result is a diamond crystal that is virtually identical to a mined diamond.
Chemical Vapour Deposition (CVD)
In this method, a diamond seed is placed in a chamber filled with a carbon-rich gas mixture. The gas is heated, causing the carbon atoms to separate and deposit on the diamond seed, creating a crystal layer by layer.
Lab Grown Diamond Grading
Lab grown diamonds are graded using the same criteria as mined diamonds, known as the 4Cs:
- Carat: Refers to the weight of the diamond, with one carat equating 200 milligrams.
- Colour: Diamonds are graded on a scale from D (colourless) to Z (light yellow or brown). Lab grown diamonds can be found in a range of colours, including rare hues like blue and pink.
- Clarity: Indicates the presence of inclusions and blemishes within the diamond. The clarity scale ranges from Flawless (FL) to Included (I).
- Cut: Determines the diamond’s brilliance, fire, and scintillation. A well-cut diamond will reflect light internally and disperse it through the top, creating a stunning sparkle.
Each lab grown diamond receives a certificate from a reputable gemological laboratory, such as the Gemological Institute of America (GIA) or the International Gemological Institute (IGI), to guarantee its quality and grading.
Comparing Lab Created Diamonds and Mined Diamonds
While lab grown diamonds share the same properties as mined diamonds, there are some key differences:
- Formation: Mined diamonds form naturally over billions of years deep within the Earth, while lab-grown diamonds are created in a matter of weeks in controlled laboratory conditions.
- Traceability: Lab grown diamonds can be traced back to their point of creation, ensuring ethical sourcing and transparency.
- Inclusions: Lab grown diamonds may have unique inclusions, such as metallic flux or gas bubbles, which can help distinguish them from mined diamonds.
The Many Shapes of Lab Grown Diamonds
Lab created diamonds are available in a wide variety of shapes to suit every preference:
- Round Brilliant
Customising Your Lab Grown Diamond Jewellery
Our expert designers are here to help you create a one-of-a-kind piece featuring your chosen lab-grown diamond. Whether it’s an engagement ring, pendant, or s pair of earrings, we offer a range of metals, settings, and styles to suit every taste and budget. Collaborate with our team to bring your vision to life, resulting in a unique piece that will be cherished for a lifetime.
Caring for Your Lab Grown Diamonds
Proper care and maintenance will keep your lab grown diamonds looking their best:
Regularly clean your diamond jewellery using a gentle solution of warm water and mild detergent. Use a soft-bristled brush to remove dirt and oils, then rinse and pat dry with a lint-free cloth.
Store your diamond jewellery separately from other pieces to prevent scratching. Use a fabric-lined jewellery box or individual pouches to protect your diamonds.
Periodically check the settings of your jewellery to ensure the diamonds are secure. If you notice any loose stones, consult a professional jeweller for repair.
Schedule a professional cleaning and inspection at least once a year to maintain the beauty and durability of your lab-grown diamond jewellery.
Lab grown diamonds offer an ethical, sustainable, and affordable alternative to mined diamonds without compromising on beauty or quality. With a wide variety of shapes, customisation options, and the assurance of certified grading, lab grown diamonds are the perfect choice for the modern, conscious consumer. Embrace the future of luxury by choosing lab-grown diamonds for your fine jewellery collection.